On January 12th the first mission’s team of the year landed in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. 9 short-term missionaries from Massachusetts led by Dr. David Kilpatrick and Judy Margetts arrived ready to serve the people of Honduras. On Friday the 13th, they divided their work into different teams. Some of them painted the school, others were sorting clothing, other were distributing clothing and school materials at the Newman school.
After three days of hard work they left our school looking brand new. Friday night we had a special service with all of our pastors and leaders that arrived for our Annual National Pastoral and leaders Conference. In evening the team met with them and the San Cristobal congregation at the worship service. Dr. Kilpatrick preached a very challenging message for the New Year.
On Saturday the 14th, we had a well attended Annual National Pastoral and Leaders Conference. The rest of the weekend, the group had the opportunity to worship and to give away clothing, toys and school materials at the Bellavista and Los Robles churches.
On Monday the 16th, the mission’s team moved from the city Danli to El Arca where the group distributed and handed out clothing, toys and school materials to children and poor families. David Ritchie, Gary Ellinger and Dr. Kilpatrick worked on building a picnic table for the Newman family. They went to various local hardware stores to get the wood and other materials. After two days the beautiful picnic table was completed!
Judy, who is the Newman School Scholarship Director, had a very busy time meeting the parents and children who currently have scholarships. She also met with new students that are in need of scholarships for this school year. One of the children is Walter, he is 11 years old and about to start 6th grade. He comes from a very poor family. Al Velasquez a member of the mission’s team heard his story and immediately connected with him. He met Walter and his family and right away spoke with Judy and me. He decided to sponsor him and went to our school office and paid his enrollment tuition for the year.
We are so thankful with the mission team and for the good work they did. Their generosity and love expressed to our people were not only in words but also in action and faith. God Bless!
1. Thankful for the blessings that the January mission’s team brought to us.
2. For the new associate pastor at the San Cristobal Church in Danli (Pastor Jose Andino and his family).
3. For Gloria Sanchez, who is the new pastor for Manacales Church in Villanueva, Cortes. She is Juan Sanchez wife, our Supervisor in the North Coast.
4. For the new baptistry that was built at el Arca Property. Donations were provided by May Chan, Betsy Goeke and Dr. David Kilpatrick. Instead of the polluted rivers our churches will now use this baptistry.
1. For the mission team from Rhode Island, that will be here from February 19- 25, 2017. They will be continuing the construction work at their sister church in Cofradia, Cortes - Honduras.
2. For funds for 3 pastoral scholarships ($60 per month).
3. For our goal of planting 3 new churches in our ministry this year. Also, that God may provide the ideal pastors for those congregations.
4. For our Missionary Hector Newman’s living expenses ($750/month)
Dr. Hector Newman